Dentures offer several options for replacing teeth. Partial dentures work great when you still have some of your natural teeth and only need to fill in the gaps where teeth are missing, while full dentures can replace a full row of teeth. Several types of full and partial dentures are available at our office in Pasadena, TX. Dr. Kevin Gill, our knowledgeable dentist, can recommend the right dentures meet your needs.
Benefits of Dentures
Dentures offer multiple benefits beyond restoring your smile. By replacing lost teeth, dentures help address many of the unwanted side effects that occur when teeth are missing. For example, facial sagging can occur when there are not enough teeth to support the muscles of the face. The way you speak can also be affected when teeth are missing. Speech can be altered when the tongue slips into the gaps where there are no teeth.
Another problem that stems from having missing teeth is that the remaining teeth can become worn down more quickly. When your smile is incomplete, existing teeth have to compensate for missing ones. As the remaining teeth take on the additional biting and chewing functions that would have been performed by the missing ones, the existing teeth endure more strain, wear, and tear. Restoring your smile with dentures helps alleviate such side effects.
Types of Partial Dentures
Partial dentures are worn when only some of the teeth along an arch need to be replaced. Partial dentures fill in the gaps between the patient’s natural teeth. Two types of partial dentures are used:
- Transitional Partial Dentures: Worn temporarily, these dentures make it possible to enjoy a full smile while waiting for the gums to heal from tooth extraction.
- Removable Partial Dentures: These dentures are worn long term and replace transitional ones. They are also more comfortable as they are made from a lightweight material.
Types of Full Dentures
Full dentures, or complete dentures, are worn when all of the teeth along an arch are gone. Three types of full dentures are available. At our office in Pasadena, TX, the dentist can help you select the right type for your needs. Types of full dentures include:
- Immediate Full Dentures: Similar to transitional partial dentures, these dentures are worn temporarily while while the gums heal from extraction. These dentures allow patients to immediately experience the benefits of having full set of teeth while waiting for permanent dentures.
- Conventional Full Dentures: Worn long term and are custom made for each patient to achieve the best possible fit. Over time, these dentures eventually conform to the mouth and fit even better.
- Implant-Supported Overdentures: These dentures are also worn long term but are held in place by several dental implants, which give the dentures added stability.
Between the different types of partial and full dentures, you have several tooth replacement options. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Gill to discuss your denture options by calling our office in Pasadena, TX, at (713) 947-0293.