Posts for category: Dental Procedures
Is your smile duller than you would like? Good oral hygiene and cosmetic dentistry treatments offered by your Pasadena, TX, dentist, Dr. Kevin Gill can help your teeth sparkle.
Way to keep your smile bright
These tips can help reduce or prevent stains that dull teeth:
- Stay Away from Foods and Drinks That Cause Stains: Foods and drinks that contain dark pigments may be responsible for dullness. The pigments in these foods seep into tiny pores in tooth enamel and can't be removed simply by brushing your teeth. Coffee, tea, red wine, soft drinks, berries, ice pops, brightly colored candy, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and other foods and beverages are often responsible for dental stains.
- Brush After Meals: Brushing after meals not only removes plaque but can also help you keep your smile looking its best.
- Use Whitening Toothpaste: Whitening toothpaste can help remove stains and prevent your teeth from looking dull or yellow. Look for a whitening toothpaste that features the American Dental Association seal. Use charcoal or other types of whitening toothpaste sparingly, as some products may erode your enamel, exposing the yellow dentin layer underneath.
- Use a Straw: Drinking beverages with a straw prevents stain-causing pigments from touching the fronts of teeth where stains are most noticeable.
What to Do If Your Smile Is Still Dull
Your dentist offers two cosmetic dentistry treatments that will brighten your smile. Professional teeth whitening breaks ups the pigments that cause stains with hydrogen peroxide, a natural stain remover. Whitening only takes about an hour in the Pasadena dental office. After your whitening session, your teeth will be considerably lighter. In fact, many people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement.
Veneers offer a longer-lasting whitening approach. Thin, tooth-shaped shells attached to the fronts of your teeth conceal your stained teeth. The shells are cemented to the fronts of teeth and made from an impression of your mouth. Veneers are extremely stain resistant. In fact, you continue to enjoy coffee, tea, cola, red wine without worrying about dulling your smile.
Would you like to brighten your smile with a cosmetic dentistry treatment? Call your dentist in Pasadena, TX, Dr. Gill, at (713) 947-0293 to schedule your appointment.
Teeth have a way of becoming a little duller as the years pass. Fortunately, your Pasadena, TX, dentist, Dr. Kevin Gill, offers two cosmetic dentistry options that can help.
How your teeth become stained
Some of the tastiest food and beverage choices are also the ones that stain your teeth. Every time you eat or drink foods that contain darkly colored pigments, your smile becomes a little more stained. Berries, soy sauce, ice pop, candy, sports drinks, coffee, tea, cola, red wine, and other foods and beverages contain the pigments.
The dark pigments in these foods and beverages enter tiny pores in your tooth enamel and don't budge no matter how well you brush your teeth. As these pigments build up, your teeth become increasingly dull.
Teeth whitening renews your smile quickly
Teeth whitening can keep your smile bright and white for several years. Best of all, you'll only need to make one visit to the Pasadena dental office to remove your stains. Your dentist uses professional-strength hydrogen peroxide gel to break up stain-causing pigments and whiten your smile.
Most people notice a three- to eight-shade improvement in their smiles after whitening. A whitening session can renew your smile in just about an hour and offers the least expensive way to brighten your smile.
Veneers offer a longer-term whitening your option
Veneers offer a long-lasting way to whiten your teeth. The plastic or porcelain shells are attached to the fronts of your teeth, the areas where dental stains are most noticeable. Veneers may be no thicker than a fingernail, but they provide a very effective way to keep stains out of sight. The restorations are made from an impression of your mouth to ensure that your veneers fit your teeth perfectly.
Veneers are stain-resistant and won't become dull even if you drink tea, coffee, or cola every day or eat foods that contain dark pigments. The restorations last 10 to 15 years or longer before they need to be replaced.
Whiten your smile with cosmetic dentistry! Call your dentist in Pasadena, TX, Dr. Gill, at (713) 947-0293 to schedule an appointment.
Do you wince when you hear the words "root canal? You're not alone. Although jokes about root canals lead many people to believe that the procedure is painful, this popular rumor does not reflect reality! In fact, root canal treatment from Dr. Kevin Gill, your dentist in Pasadena, TX, is a painless procedure that provides important benefits for your smile!
How can root canal therapy help me?
Root canals are recommended when your tooth pulp has become infected or inflamed. The soft pulp is located beneath the enamel and dentin layers of your tooth and contains tissue, blood vessels, and nerves.
During the therapy, your Pasadena dentist removes the pulp, cleans the interior of the tooth, cleans and shapes the root canals, and replaces the pulp with gutta-percha, a rubber-based filling material. Crowns are then usually added to strengthen and protect treated teeth.
What are the advantages of root canal therapy?
Root canal therapy can:
- End your pain: Teeth that need root canal therapy can ache and throb due to the infected dental pulp. However, by removing this pulp, root canal therapy ends your pain. During treatment, you will also receive local anesthetic to ensure that your mouth remains pain-free throughout the entire procedure.
- Prevent tooth loss: If you don't receive root canal therapy, you will eventually lose your damaged tooth. This is to be avoided at all costs, for tooth loss affects your appearance, makes chewing harder, and can even harshly affect your other teeth. After you lose a tooth, your other teeth drift toward the opening, which can cause bite and alignment problems. Tooth loss can also cause your jawbone to shrink. Root canals prevent these consequences from occurring.
- Protect your health: An abscess, a serious bacterial infection in your tooth pulp, can spread to your heart, brain or other parts of your body if it's not treated promptly. Root canal therapy, used in conjunction with antibiotics, prevents the infection from spreading.
- Eliminate the need for tooth restoration: Replacing a missing tooth can be costly, and the restoration may never feel quite as comfortable as a natural tooth. Thanks to your root canal, you can keep your tooth.
Need dental work? Give us a call!
Protect your smile with root canal therapy! Call your Pasadena, TX, dentist, Dr. Kevin Gill, at (713) 947-0293 to schedule an appointment.
How your dentist in Pasadena, TX, can rejuvenate your smile
If your smile has grown dull and uninteresting, you can change it! You can have the brilliant, perfect smile you deserve, and it’s easier than you think. The answer is cosmetic dentistry! Cosmetic dentistry procedures have revolutionized what dentistry is all about. Now, in addition to repairing your smile, you can make it more beautiful too! Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, offers a wide variety of services to help you and your smile look great!
You have many cosmetic dentistry procedures to choose from. These are just a few:
- Professional teeth whitening, the quick and easy way to a bright, beautiful smile; you can whiten your smile up to 8 shades whiter, with dramatic results that can last up to 5 years! Dr. Gill offers two exceptional ways to whiten your smile. Consider:
- In-office whitening, which takes about an hour and is a great choice if you have a special event coming up and want to look great
- Take-home whitening, which comes in a kit containing everything you need to whiten safely and effectively at home
- Dental implants, if you are missing a single tooth or multiple teeth; dental implants look and feel just like natural teeth. They restore your full chewing function and give you a whole, beautiful smile. They are fully embedded in bone, so they won’t ever move around, and you can brush and floss them just like natural teeth.
Porcelain veneers, the gold standard of treatment to give you a perfect smile; porcelain veneers are thin sheaths of beautiful porcelain which are cemented on to the front surfaces of your teeth. They allow you to change the color and shape of your teeth. You can choose porcelain veneers to hide:
- Chips and tooth wear
- Cracks and fracture lines
- Discolorations and defects in enamel
It’s up to you to decide which cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you, and there are many choices. Your dentist can help you achieve a brilliant, beautiful smile. Just pick up your phone and call Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, today!
Several different types of dentures exist for replacing missing teeth and restoring the natural shape of the face. Whether you need to replace a full row of teeth or still have some natural teeth remaining, there is a type of denture that is right for you! Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, can help determine which types of dentures might be suitable for your needs—read on to learn more!
Types of Dentures
There are several different types of dentures to replace missing teeth. Partial dentures fill in the gaps where teeth are missing when there are still some natural teeth, while full or complete dentures replace a full row of teeth when no natural teeth remain. Two types of partial dentures include transitional and removable. Types of full dentures include immediate, conventional, and implant-supported overdentures. During a consultation, your Pasadena dentist can recommend the appropriate type of denture for your needs.
More about Partial Dentures
Both types of partial dentures, transitional and removable, are used when there are still some natural teeth left. Partial dentures simply fill in the gaps where teeth are missing and can be used along the top or bottom arch of teeth, or both if needed. Transitional partial dentures are a temporary option often worn while waiting for the gums to heal from tooth extraction or a similar procedure. Removable partial dentures are a more comfortable lighter-weight option meant to be worn long term.
More about Full Dentures
The different types of full dentures are worn when a full row or arch of teeth needs to be replaced. Immediate full dentures are a temporary option worn while the gums heal from tooth extraction or another procedure. Once the mouth heals, immediate full dentures are usually replaced with conventional full dentures, which are custom made for a perfect fit and are meant to be worn permanently. Implant-supported overdentures are also meant to be worn permanently and are securely anchored in place by several dental implants in the jawbone.
Interested? Call Today!
Dentures can restore your smile, the natural shape of your face, normal tooth function, and speech. For dentures in Pasadena, TX, schedule an appointment with Dr. Gill by calling (713) 947-0293.