Do you wince when you hear the words "root canal? You're not alone. Although jokes about root canals lead many people to believe that the procedure is painful, this popular rumor does not reflect reality! In fact, root canal treatment from Dr. Kevin Gill, your dentist in Pasadena, TX, is a painless procedure that provides important benefits for your smile!
How can root canal therapy help me?
Root canals are recommended when your tooth pulp has become infected or inflamed. The soft pulp is located beneath the enamel and dentin layers of your tooth and contains tissue, blood vessels, and nerves.
During the therapy, your Pasadena dentist removes the pulp, cleans the interior of the tooth, cleans and shapes the root canals, and replaces the pulp with gutta-percha, a rubber-based filling material. Crowns are then usually added to strengthen and protect treated teeth.
What are the advantages of root canal therapy?
Root canal therapy can:
- End your pain: Teeth that need root canal therapy can ache and throb due to the infected dental pulp. However, by removing this pulp, root canal therapy ends your pain. During treatment, you will also receive local anesthetic to ensure that your mouth remains pain-free throughout the entire procedure.
- Prevent tooth loss: If you don't receive root canal therapy, you will eventually lose your damaged tooth. This is to be avoided at all costs, for tooth loss affects your appearance, makes chewing harder, and can even harshly affect your other teeth. After you lose a tooth, your other teeth drift toward the opening, which can cause bite and alignment problems. Tooth loss can also cause your jawbone to shrink. Root canals prevent these consequences from occurring.
- Protect your health: An abscess, a serious bacterial infection in your tooth pulp, can spread to your heart, brain or other parts of your body if it's not treated promptly. Root canal therapy, used in conjunction with antibiotics, prevents the infection from spreading.
- Eliminate the need for tooth restoration: Replacing a missing tooth can be costly, and the restoration may never feel quite as comfortable as a natural tooth. Thanks to your root canal, you can keep your tooth.
Need dental work? Give us a call!
Protect your smile with root canal therapy! Call your Pasadena, TX, dentist, Dr. Kevin Gill, at (713) 947-0293 to schedule an appointment.
If you're considering tooth replacement with some kind of dentures, you're not alone. In his Pasadena, TX, office, Dr. Kevin Gill fits patients with the latest in dentures, improving oral function, facial contours, speech, and more.
It's no shame
People experience tooth loss. Perhaps it's through a motor vehicle accident or sports mishap. Maybe you've had extensive tooth decay and restorations, or gum disease loosened your teeth beyond repair. Whatever the case, dentures can help bring your smile back to life.
Types of dentures
Here are the types of dentures currently available through your Pasadena, TX, dentist. As part of your treatment plan, you and Dr. Gill, will discuss your oral health needs and how each type of denture may work for you. Additionally, he will outline how long it will take to get your appliance and how much it will cost.
Denture types include:
- Partial denture are made of lifelike acrylic, these pontic, or artificial teeth are mounted on light metal framework and are held in place securely by several clasps which grasp adjoining teeth. A partial denture fills one or more smile gaps and, as its name indicates, is appropriate for partial tooth loss.
- Full conventional dentures are fitted to the top or bottom arch or both. A full denture replaces an entire set of teeth when extensive decay, accident, or periodontal disease strike. Some people also opt for full dentures because of extreme dental sensitivity. These appliances stay in place with the natural suction provided by the oral tissues on the upper and lower jaws. Dr. Gill places them after extraction sites heal completely.
- Immediate dentures are full dentures placed right after the dentist removes teeth. They have the advantage of completing your smile right away and help speed healing. However, they often need replacement as bone and gums shrink over time.
- Implant dentures help fully edentulous patients regain normal chewing, biting, and speaking. They are the most stable denture option available and improve the density and size of supporting bone and gum tissue. While they are the most expensive option, implant dentures present an attractive option to people who wish to regain the most normal physical appearance and oral function possible.
Considering dentures? Let us help
Dr. Gill and his caring staff help people decide if and when to get dentures and how best to adjust to their new teeth. If you are tired of a failing smile, call our Pasadena, TX, office to arrange a consultation: (713) 947-0293.
How your dentist in Pasadena, TX, can rejuvenate your smile
If your smile has grown dull and uninteresting, you can change it! You can have the brilliant, perfect smile you deserve, and it’s easier than you think. The answer is cosmetic dentistry! Cosmetic dentistry procedures have revolutionized what dentistry is all about. Now, in addition to repairing your smile, you can make it more beautiful too! Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, offers a wide variety of services to help you and your smile look great!
You have many cosmetic dentistry procedures to choose from. These are just a few:
- Professional teeth whitening, the quick and easy way to a bright, beautiful smile; you can whiten your smile up to 8 shades whiter, with dramatic results that can last up to 5 years! Dr. Gill offers two exceptional ways to whiten your smile. Consider:
- In-office whitening, which takes about an hour and is a great choice if you have a special event coming up and want to look great
- Take-home whitening, which comes in a kit containing everything you need to whiten safely and effectively at home
- Dental implants, if you are missing a single tooth or multiple teeth; dental implants look and feel just like natural teeth. They restore your full chewing function and give you a whole, beautiful smile. They are fully embedded in bone, so they won’t ever move around, and you can brush and floss them just like natural teeth.
Porcelain veneers, the gold standard of treatment to give you a perfect smile; porcelain veneers are thin sheaths of beautiful porcelain which are cemented on to the front surfaces of your teeth. They allow you to change the color and shape of your teeth. You can choose porcelain veneers to hide:
- Chips and tooth wear
- Cracks and fracture lines
- Discolorations and defects in enamel
It’s up to you to decide which cosmetic dentistry procedure is right for you, and there are many choices. Your dentist can help you achieve a brilliant, beautiful smile. Just pick up your phone and call Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, today!
Several different types of dentures exist for replacing missing teeth and restoring the natural shape of the face. Whether you need to replace a full row of teeth or still have some natural teeth remaining, there is a type of denture that is right for you! Dr. Kevin Gill in Pasadena, TX, can help determine which types of dentures might be suitable for your needs—read on to learn more!
Types of Dentures
There are several different types of dentures to replace missing teeth. Partial dentures fill in the gaps where teeth are missing when there are still some natural teeth, while full or complete dentures replace a full row of teeth when no natural teeth remain. Two types of partial dentures include transitional and removable. Types of full dentures include immediate, conventional, and implant-supported overdentures. During a consultation, your Pasadena dentist can recommend the appropriate type of denture for your needs.
More about Partial Dentures
Both types of partial dentures, transitional and removable, are used when there are still some natural teeth left. Partial dentures simply fill in the gaps where teeth are missing and can be used along the top or bottom arch of teeth, or both if needed. Transitional partial dentures are a temporary option often worn while waiting for the gums to heal from tooth extraction or a similar procedure. Removable partial dentures are a more comfortable lighter-weight option meant to be worn long term.
More about Full Dentures
The different types of full dentures are worn when a full row or arch of teeth needs to be replaced. Immediate full dentures are a temporary option worn while the gums heal from tooth extraction or another procedure. Once the mouth heals, immediate full dentures are usually replaced with conventional full dentures, which are custom made for a perfect fit and are meant to be worn permanently. Implant-supported overdentures are also meant to be worn permanently and are securely anchored in place by several dental implants in the jawbone.
Interested? Call Today!
Dentures can restore your smile, the natural shape of your face, normal tooth function, and speech. For dentures in Pasadena, TX, schedule an appointment with Dr. Gill by calling (713) 947-0293.
Getting these tooth replacements could provide your smile with incredible benefits.
If you are an adult who is missing one or more teeth then the time to get your smile back is now, and dental implants can help. Most patients are looking for an artificial tooth that comes as close as possible to having a natural smile again, and our Pasadena, TX, dentist Dr. Kevin Gill understands the importance of having a restoration you can trust for years to come. This is why a dental implant, a metal post that functions just like real tooth roots, may just be the tooth loss solution you’ve been waiting for.
Dental implants boast an array of unique benefits that other tooth loss treatment don’t including:
So it goes without saying that once you have your restoration you’ll want to keep it as long as possible. While most tooth replacement treatments will need to be readjusted or replaced every few years, a dental implant itself should never need to be. This small titanium post is extremely durable and, with the proper oral hygiene in place, your new tooth could just end up lasting the rest of your life.
The Next Best Thing
Sure, your tooth couldn’t be saved but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a restoration that feels and looks natural. Nothing comes closer to a real tooth than dental implants because they do not just look like a tooth but also function just like one. The key to a dental implant’s success lies in the fact that our Pasadena, TX, dentist places the implant into the jawbone where it will take over for your missing tooth’s roots. No other tooth replacement can do this.
Prevent Bone Loss
While you might not know it, tooth loss isn’t the only issue you are currently facing. Bone loss is a common complication of tooth loss because your jawbone requires all of your tooth roots to continue to produce new bone cells and remain strong. Once a tooth falls out or is extracted, the jawbone will deteriorate. You can imagine just how serious this can be for not just your appearance but also your oral health. Luckily, implants are the only artificial tooth replacement that actually provides the jawbone with the stimulation it needs so that it doesn’t deteriorate. s
Prevent Shifting Teeth
Over time, teeth will begin to shift into those open gaps in your smile. This can lead to crookedness, crowding, uneven gaps between teeth and other alignment problems. By placing a dental implant or artificial tooth into these gaps in your smile we can prevent teeth from shifting or moving around and causing even more issues.
If you’ve been considering whether you should get dental implants in Pasadena, TX, it might be time to take the next step and schedule a consultation. We would be happy to sit down with you and determine if you are an ideal candidate for this tooth replacement.
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.